HomeUnited KingdomGuidance: What to do after a British individual dies in Germany

Guidance: What to do after a British individual dies in Germany

If you wish to arrange a memorial in Germany or repatriate the person who died to the UNITED KINGDOM, the FCDO provides a list of English-speaking funeral directors in Germany. The funeral service director will be able to explain the local process and options available to you. If there is an investigation into the death, clothing might be retained as evidence and can not be returned until the courtroom case is finished.

What to do if the person who died didn’t have insurance

A relative or formally appointed representative must appoint a UK-based global funeral director for the person who died to be repatriated towards the UK. The FCDO provides a list of UK-based international funeral service directors. Check this step-by-step guide for when someone dies to make sure you have done all you need to do in the UK. You can find information on how to tell the government about the dying, UK pensions and advantages and dealing with the estate of the person who died. Personal belongings found on the person who died at the time of their own death are handed to the police and/or local expert if the family is not existing. You do not need to register the death in the UK. The local death certificate can usually be used in the united kingdom for most purposes, including probate.

Charitable organizations and organisations that offer support

If you are not sure if the person who died had insurance plan, check with their bank, credit card company or employer.

Register the passing away and obtain a death certificate

Ask for extra copies of the death certificate where feasible. You might need to officially inform other organisations of the dying.

  • birth certificate, stating their own place of birth and the titles of their parents
  • religion
  • official identity document (for illustration their British passport)
  • details of their spouse (if applicable)
  • marriage certificate (if applicable)
  • divorce papers (if applicable)

During a post-mortem, little tissue samples and organs may be removed and retained for testing without the consent of the person’s family. You do not automatically be told if this happens. In the event that any organs are taken out they will be returned before the person is released for burial. In exceptional circumstances, for example , in the event that further investigation is considered necessary, body parts may be retained without permission. If this happens, the next of kin will be advised. If you wish, you can register the particular death with the Overseas Sign up Unit. You can order a UK-style death certificate, known as a Consular Death Registration certificate. A record will be sent to the overall Register Office within a year. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office are not able to help with any costs. If you choose local cremation, the regulations on the repatriation of ashes from Philippines to the UK vary throughout each of the German federal declares. You may not be able to send a good urn by post or courier. Urns can be shipped by air freight, even though this can be expensive. You should look for advice and discuss the choices with your funeral director before you make a decision.

Deal with a local post-mortem

If the person who died was obviously a resident in Germany, access to their belongings may be limited, as these may be included in their own estate. In this case, you should look for legal advice on how to proceed. If you wish to set up a post-mortem in the UK after the body has been repatriated, you may make a request to a UNITED KINGDOM coroner. The coroner will likely then decide if a post-mortem is necessary. If you want the person who died to be cremated you need to apply for a certificate from the coroner (form ‘Cremation 6’. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office cannot help with the cost of returning personal belongings to the family. When leaving Germany with individual ashes you will need to:

Bring the body home

Post-mortems are normally performed when the reason for death is unknown, unnatural, sudden or violent. Post-mortems are carried out by forensic doctors appointed by the courtroom. Cultural or religious sensitivities may not be taken into account. The International, Commonwealth & Development Workplace cannot stop or hinder the process. If you plan in order to repatriate the person who died towards the UK, you may require their own passport to do this. In these circumstances, you should cancel the passport after they have been repatriated. Post-mortem reports are not usually made available to the next of kin. However an appointed attorney can apply for a report from your Public Prosecutor.

Find an international funeral director

If the person who died did not possess insurance, a relative or a formally appointed representative will usually have to appoint a funeral movie director and be responsible for all costs. The FCDO provides a list of UK-based international funeral company directors. You may need a übersetzungsprogramm to help you understand the information or even get certain documents translated. The FCDO provides a listing of official translators in Philippines.

Recommendations and financial assistance intended for repatriation

To avoid identity fraud, the passport from the person who died should be terminated with HM Passport Workplace (HMPO). To do this, you need to complete a D1 form. Some UK-based charities plus organisations may be able to offer help, support and information to people affected by a death overseas. The FCDO provides a list of UK-based charities and companies that can help.

Bring the ashes home

Local funeral directors will work with UK-based worldwide funeral directors to make sure all the necessary requirements are fulfilled both locally and in the UK. This includes providing documents such as a local civil registry loss of life certificate, a certificate of embalming and a certificate giving permission to transfer the particular remains to the UK. If the person who died is just not covered by insurance, you may be needed to appoint an international funeral director yourself. You can apply at appoint a lawyer in certain conditions, such as a suspicious death. The particular FCDO provides a list of English-speaking lawyers in Germany.

  • show the passing away certificate
  • show the certificate of cremation
  • fill in a standard customs form when you appear home
  • follow local German regulations about departing along with human ashes

If the person who died had insurance, find out in case their insurance provider can help cover the price of repatriation. Repatriation is the procedure for bringing the body home. If you do, they will make the necessary preparations.

Bury or cremate the body locally

For organisations plus charities that may be able to provide assistance with repatriation, see information on LBT Global in Coping with death abroad: specialist support and advice or repatriation charities in Northern Ireland in europe and Wales. If you are coping with the death of a kid, multiple deaths, a dubious death or a case associated with murder or manslaughter, call +49 (0) 30 204570. You should not have the person cremated overseas if you want a UK coroner to conduct an inquest to their death. If you cannot transport the ashes yourself, a funeral service director will be able to make the necessary arrangements. The FCDO provides a list of UK-based international funeral service directors. If the individual who died had insurance, the company will appoint a funeral director both regionally and in the UK. If you choose to repatriate, instruct the local memorial director to collect all private belongings from the police or court and transport all of them together with the body.

Obtain belongings

If the person who died got insurance, contact their insurance company as soon as possible. Insurance providers may help to pay the cost of repatriation. Repatriation could be the process of bringing the body house. Insurance providers may also help with any medical, legal, interpretation and translation fees. Repatriation from Australia to the UK can either become by road or by air. You should ask your appointed funeral director concerning the options available to you. Registrars will normally issue the death certificate (Sterbeurkunde) in German. You can request an international version (Internationale Sterbeurkunde) which provides a multilingual translation. German death certificates do not give the cause of death. You need to tell the local professionals if the person who died experienced an infectious condition, for example hepatitis or HIV, to allow them to take precautions against contamination. Deaths must be registered in the land where the person died. Within Germany a death is definitely registered at the local registry office. A funeral director can usually do this to suit your needs. Registrars in Germany will require certain documents and pieces of information about the person who has passed away to register their death, which include their:

Find a translator

If a local burial or cremation takes place, there will not be a coroner’s inquest carried out in the UK.

Find a lawyer

If you can collect the ashes and plan to transport them by air, check with the airline about any specific restrictions or needs. For example , check whether you are able to carry the ashes as hand luggage. The crematorium might request additional documentation just before releasing the urn.

Cancel a passport

To have a local burial or cremation, a relative or a formally appointed representative needs to appoint a local funeral service director. The FCDO provides a list of English-speaking funeral company directors in Germany.

Verify you have done everything you need to do in the UK

Foreign nationals can be smothered or cremated locally within Germany. However the local laws and regulations and procedures about each time a funeral or cremation may take place vary across each one of the federal states.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News