Diplomat for a Day
The ‘Diplomat for a Day’ competition is a joint initiative by the British, Canadian and US embassies to Luxembourg that aims to encourage young women and girls to become leaders and advocates for change.
Why you should enter this competition
The nominees will be notified by 23 February 2024. If a nominee cannot be contacted within four working days of notification, the three Embassies hold the right to withdraw the nomination and pick a replacement among the other competitors. If there are any restrictions on in person contact due to the Covid-19 pandemic or any other unforeseen events, some or all activities may need to occur in a virtual format. We will inform the winners in advance should this be the case.
Who can enter
Please send your work and the completed application form to DiplomatForADayLuxembourg@gmail.com.
- are enrolled in a Luxembourg high school
- identify as a girl or woman
- are between 16 and 19 years old, or turn 16 in 2024
How to enter
By applying to the competition, participants transfer the copyright ownership of their videos and essays to the British, U.S. and Canadian Embassies. The Embassies may use these to produce content for future communication on its social media channels.
- Only one entry will be accepted per person. Multiple entries from the same person will be disqualified.
- Any winner aged under 18 must have a written consent from their parent or guardian who is over 21 years old in order to participate on 11 March 2024.
The entries can be submitted in either a video format or in a written format. The video should not be longer than two minutes, and the word limit for written entries is 500 words. If you choose to submit a video, please send it as a WeTransfer link.
You can enter this competition if you: If you win the competition you will be invited to spend a day at the British and US embassies in Luxembourg on 11 March. You will have a rare opportunity to interact directly with Ambassadors, seasoned diplomats, and influential local leaders. Women and girls represent half of the world’s population and therefore also half of its potential. Today there are too few women in international diplomacy, including women from under-represented backgrounds, whether ethnic, religious, economic, cultural, or personal identity, among others. Women are not represented at parity in political and business sectors. The winners must have valid ID and/or passport.
Terms and conditions
- By entering this competition, the entrant and her lawful representative is indicating her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- In recent times, world peace has been increasingly threatened by armed conflicts. Please discuss how women are essential in establishing and maintaining lasting peace in our world today. Share your ideas on how you, as a young woman, can contribute to fostering peace within your own community.
- Minors must have a written parental consent as prescribed by the law in order to participate.
- To enter, you must answer one of the following question:
- What positive change would you like to see in your community and in the world regarding women’s rights and equality, and how can you contribute to making that change happen?
- The Judging panel’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the competition, including but not limited to the appraisal of the participants, the organization of carrying out the competition and the awarding of the winners’ prizes will be final.
- The closing date for entry will be 23:59 hrs, 11 February 2024. After this date, no further entries to the competition will be permitted.
- The winners must be available to travel to Luxembourg on 11 March 2024 and must obtain written permission from their school to be excused on the day.
- The application is free of charge
- To end this underrepresentation, we must ensure equality of opportunity and equitable outcomes for everyone. This is why we, Canada, the UK and the US, are working towards gender equality around the world.
- The nominees will be selected based on their essay or video by a judging panel, which includes British, Canadian and US Embassy employees. The number of nominees shall be no more than 10.
- No responsibility can be accepted for entries not received for whatever reason.
- The winners agree to be photographed and/or filmed as part of the Diplomat for a Day campaign in order to promote the initiative, provided that the photos/videos do not prejudice their dignity and reputation.