Location: Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, and West Bengal, India
Event: A low pressure area developing over the Bay of Bengal is likely to cause heavy rainfall, thunderstorms, and lightening in Bihar, Jharkhand, Odisha, and West Bengal from June 10 through June 14. Along with the risk of flooding, raw sewage may spill out onto common areas resulting from backed up or blocked sewer lines. Downed power lines and transformers on the ground can pose electrocution hazards. Potholes and uneven sidewalks will be less visible during a flood. Take extra caution walking or driving when visibility is decreased on the sidewalks or roads.
Depending on weather conditions, routine American Citizen Services appointments and operations at U.S. Consulates General Hyderabad and Kolkata may be limited due to heavy rain or floods. If you or your U.S. citizen family member face an emergency such as arrest, hospitalization, or death, please call +91-40-4033-8300 for Hyderabad (Odisha) or +91-33-3984-2400 for Kolkata (West Bengal and all other eastern states). Alternatively, please email [email protected] or [email protected].
Actions to Take:
· Monitor local media and the Indian Meteorological Department (https://mausam.imd.gov.in/) for weather updates.
· Seek secure shelter if a heavy rain is affecting your area.
· Prepare to shelter in place until conditions improve by having enough drinking water, food, and other supplies at your residence. Review the list of recommended items for an emergency at https://www.ready.gov/kit.
· Make contingency plans to leave.
· Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
· Notify friends and family of your safety.
U.S. citizens may monitor English-language Indian media at the following:
· The Hindu, https://www.thehindu.com/
· The Indian Express, https://indianexpress.com/
· The Telegraph, https://www.telegraphindia.com/
· The Times of India, https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/
U.S. Embassy New Delhi
New Delhi 110021
+91 11 2419 8000 [email protected]
U.S. Consulate General Chennai (Madras)
220 Anna Salai, Gemini Circle
+91 44 2857 4000 [email protected]
U.S. Consulate General Hyderabad
Paigah Palace, 1-8-323 Chiran Fort Lane, Begumpet
+91 40 4033 8300 [email protected]
U.S. Consulate General Kolkata (Calcutta)
5/1 Ho Chi Minh Sarani
+91 33 3984 2400 [email protected]
U.S. Consulate General Mumbai (Bombay)
C-49, G-Block, Bandra Kurla Complex, Bandra East
+91 22 2672 4000 [email protected]