HomeUnited KingdomRomania: notarial and documentary services

Romania: notarial and documentary services


What you will need provide:

For information about documents relating to marriage, such as a certificate of no impediment (CNI) and affirmations or affidavits of marital status, please see getting married abroad. If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, see other services provided by the British embassy in Romania.

Services we provide in Romania

Where local notaries can provide services, the British consulate will not provide them. In many cases local notaries or lawyers can provide services more cheaply, quickly and conveniently.

  • make a certified copy of a document.
  • unite documents

We will advise by e-mail for the documents for each individual service. Make sure you have acceptable proof of address and identity, and ability to pay the relevant fees by credit or debit card online. See the full list of consular fees.

What documents you will need to provide

This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.


Most services are available by post. Please e-mail us at bucharest.consular@fcdo.gov.uk with information what service you require.

Proof of address and identity

This service is for customers who need certified photocopies of British passports, Home Office registration/naturalisation certificates, UK educational documents (only those that have been issued in the UK by a recognised institution and are listed on the Legalisation Office website, British driving licences (both the plastic card and paper document are required) and British divorce decrees.

This service joins documents together using ribbon and a seal and is usually only needed for legal reasons.
What you will need to provide:

Consular staff in Romania can:

Make a certified copy of a document

We have produced the following information notes (also known as standard letters) that you can download free of charge to present to local authorities: Information note: Explanatory note in lieu of certificate of celibacy

We accept passports or national identity cards as proof of identity.

Unite documents

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.

We accept Romanian ID cards or residence permits, utility bills and bank statements (received by post, not printed off websites) as proof of your address.

Legalise a document

This service is for customers who require confirmation that the signature, seal or stamp on a document is genuine. It does not certify the authenticity of a document or give approval of its content. UK public documents can be legalised by the Legalisation Office.

Download information notes

For all appointments for notarial services you will need to bring acceptable proof of your identity and address.

Services provided elsewhere

We accept online payments by Visa and MasterCard. We will e-mail you a payment link after receiving your documents.

Data protection

We no longer witness life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad. Please refer to the list of people working in a recognised profession who can do this for you.


This service is offered only in combination with making a certified copy of a document if your document is more than one page long.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News