HomeUnited KingdomGuidance: Living in The Gambia

Guidance: Living in The Gambia

The UK has a double taxation agreement with The Gambia so that you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief. Find an English-speaking lawyer in The Gambia This information is provided as a guide only. You should get definitive information from the Gambian authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is not liable for any inaccuracies in this information. To obtain a list of documents you will need to register a death and for further information, contact: To bring your domestic pet to The Gambia you will need a health inspection certificate issued by an official veterinarian within 72 hours of departure from the exporting country. You must also obtain an import permit from The Gambian Department of Livestock Services (this will incur a local fee). Phone: +220 3141005

Before you go

Read the guidance if you need to travel with medicines.


You can then register with the UK authorities and apply for a UK birth certificate. register as an overseas voter Email: olisman8976@yahoo.com

Visas and residency

See also Guidance for a victim of rape and sexual assault abroad Driving abroad https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad Dr Ousman Ceesay

Passports and travel

Foreign nationals can get married in The Gambia through the Ministry of Justice. There is no civil partnership available. Marriage applications must be submitted through the Registrar General’s Office located in the Ministry of Justice, Marina Parade, Banjul. For information about documents needed and the fees, contact the Registrar. (Please note that the British High Commission consular section does not issue Certificates of No Impediment). If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system. The NHS has information for people moving abroad.

Healthcare in The Gambia

There are a number of local registered estate agents that will be able to help you find a house to buy or rent and guide you through the process. It is recommended that you seek legal advice when buying land or property and ensure that the lawyer gets clearance from the Ministry of Lands / Directorate of Physical Planning before making any purchase. If someone dies in The Gambia read our guidance on: There are currently no COVID-19 travel restrictions for travellers to The Gambia. However, we advise that prior to departure you check the travel advice in case of any changes. You can drive using a UK driving licence for up to 3 months upon your first entry into The Gambia. After 3 months you must apply for a Gambian driving licence using your UK driving licence as proof of driving competence. You should contact your local police station to ask where the nearest licensing office is. The documents required for the application include proof of residency in The Gambia, your valid UK driving licence and a copy of your passport. A Gambian driving licence is renewable yearly and you should carry it with you when driving.


Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks. The Gambian Dalasi (GMD) is the official currency. It remains a primarily cash-based society but some larger businesses can take payment by credit and debit cards. There are several ATMs in the tourist area of Senegambia and in other locations, but the ATMs can be unreliable as they are often empty or out of service.

Working in The Gambia

Currently, there are no restrictions on foreign ownership or occupation in The Gambia.

Studying in The Gambia

What to do if someone dies abroad If you are on a prescription for any medication you should ensure you have a supply of it, or are able to obtain it when in The Gambia. Certain medicines may not be available in The Gambia (including major brands readily available in the UK), and you may be prohibited from taking them into the country. You should consult your GP before travelling to The Gambia to find out about any alternative medication. You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:


When travelling on a British passport, British nationals receive a 28-day stamp in their passports on arrival. There is no visa requirement. You can get two further 28-day extension stamps from the Immigration Office in Banjul or the Tourist Police Stations in the Tourism Development Areas. These extensions will incur a fee which is payable locally. Telephone: +220 3987436 As these life certificates are posted through the mail (they are not usually sent electronically), it can be problematic to receive them in The Gambia due to the limited nature of the Gambian postal service. In general, houses here do not have postal addresses and mail is not delivered to individual accommodations, people needing to receive mail should rent a PO Box from the General Post Office. It is advisable to contact the International Pension Centre to discuss where your certificate should be sent and ask that this information be clearly noted on your records. It is worth noting that many of the official authorities and government departments in The Gambia do not have their own official websites, but many do have Facebook pages.

Read guidance on:


You can apply for or renew your British passport from The Gambia, or apply for an Emergency Travel Document. If you are planning to move to The Gambia and work, you will need to get a type B residence permit that allows for employment, along with an Alien ID card. Some employers will cover the cost of this so it is worth checking with them before applying for your permit. Permits are issued by The Gambia Immigration Department. For up to date prices and a list of documents needed to apply, contact your local immigration office or the Gambian High Commission in London if you are in the UK.


Births and Deaths Registry, Ministry of Health, Banjul Read the Guidance on international parental child abduction if your child may be at risk of this. Email: colleyabdoulie@yahoo.com Births and Deaths Registry, Ministry of Health, Banjul

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

Phone: +220 7645679 Contact details for further information are:

Money and banking

Documentation to open a bank account in The Gambia will depend on which bank you choose. Make enquiries with the individual banks about this and the types of services they can offer. If you are asked for a letter authenticating, certifying or validating your UK driving licence, you should contact your UK issuing office (eg the DVLA)

Accommodation and buying property

check if you are able to vote Read general guidance on Moving or Retiring Abroad You should get professional advice on paying tax in The Gambia.

Driving in The Gambia

If you’re the victim of a crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis, contact the British High Commission Banjul. If you retire in The Gambia, you can claim your UK State Pension or new UK State Pension. If you have a UK Blue Badge and live in The Gambia, you must return it to the original UK issuing authority. Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide sets out how British nationals can stay safe abroad and how the FCDO can help if you do get into difficulty. If you wish to take your vehicle with you, see Taking vehicles out of the UK. Cars in The Gambia are required to be left-hand drive; any right-hand drive car brought into the country must be converted.

Disabled drivers

Pensions in The Gambia: If you worked in The Gambia, and you and your employer paid monthly contributions into your account with the National Provident Fund, you will be eligible for a one off pension payment upon retirement. Retirement age in The Gambia is 60 years. Further information on National Provident Fund


Contact the International Pension Centre for further information. If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible – your payments may be suspended if you don’t. You should get professional advice on paying tax in Guinea. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Guinea. If you have been the victim of a rape or sexual assault in The Gambia, read the Information for Survivors of Rape and Sexual Assault in The Gambia

Births, deaths, marriage and civil partnership


Bereavement guidance for The Gambia Follow the advice of the Gambian government and your local authority. You should also read our Travel Advice for The Gambia. Follow the advice of the Gambian government and your local authority. You should also read our Travel Advice for The Gambia. Department of Livestock Services, Ministry of Agriculture, Abuko Veterinary Complex, Abuko

Marriage and civil partnership

To call an ambulance you must contact the hospital directly, again it is worth researching which hospitals in your area have an ambulance (as not all of them do), and taking their phone numbers. Telephone: +220 3987436 Guidance for travelling by road in The Gambia Medical facilities, in comparison to the UK, are much lower in standard and payment might be required prior to receiving treatment. Local government hospitals are usually crowded, understaffed and frequently have basic medicine shortages. There are private hospitals available, which offer better facilities than the public hospitals, but these are also limited in the treatments that they can offer. In serious cases, doctors will often advise that a patient be medically evacuated to the UK or another country with better medical facilities. The cost of an air ambulance is very high. There is no trauma unit in The Gambia. See a list of medical facilities in The Gambia


There are several private international schools following the Cambridge curriculum and there is a British International School, which is officially a COBIS candidate school. The Gambia and the UK do not have reciprocal healthcare agreements. There is no registration for healthcare in The Gambia, all healthcare must be paid for. You should buy comprehensive Travel and Medical Insurance before you enter the country. To vote in any Gambian election you must be a Gambian citizen aged 18 years or older. This guide sets out essential information for British citizens moving to or living in The Gambia. Read about how the British High Commission Banjul can help. Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on bringing family members, tax and access to services. Check the entry requirements for The Gambia in our travel advice.


English-speaking funeral directors in The Gambia If your child has British nationality you do not need to register the birth with the UK authorities to apply for a British passport. Application for a child passport. Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them. See The Gambia Travel Advice for up-to-date information on entry requirements, local laws and customs, safety and emergencies. NOTE: UK Travel insurance providers will not generally cover your healthcare costs if you live overseas. There are companies that offer insurance intended for people living overseas. Check the Gambia Travel Advice for passport validity requirements.

Returning to the UK

Contact the relevant school, college or university in The Gambia to check what fees you have to pay.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News