HomeUnited KingdomGuidance: Living in the Dominican Republic

Guidance: Living in the Dominican Republic

Check the entry specifications for Dominican Republic within our travel advice. Read the guidance on what actions you have to do to drive legally in Dominican Republic FCDO Travel Help and advice for the Dominican Republic to get information on driving licence specifications for visitors and occupants. You can drive using a UK driving licence for appointments not exceeding 3 months. For longer visits, you should apply for a nearby driving licence, for which you will need to present a certified copy of the valid UK licence. There are currently no COVID-19 restrictions in place in the Dominican Republic. Follow the advice of the Dominican government and your local authority. You should also read the Dominican Republic Travel Advice for the latest guidance. You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

Before you go

If you obtain a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to react as soon as possible – your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


See travelling with pets.

Visas plus residency

The particular Dominican Republic and the UK do not have reciprocal healthcare contracts. You should buy comprehensive travel plus medical insurance before you enter the country. NOTE: UK Travel insurance providers will not usually cover your healthcare expenses if you live overseas. To stay up-to-date: follow the British Embassy Santo Domingo on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter Look at the guidance on returning to the UK permanently, which includes information on bringing loved ones, tax and access to providers.

Passports and travel

If your child is born Dominican Republic, you should register the birth with the local authorities. After that you can register with the UK regulators and apply for a UK delivery certificate. If you are planning to advance to Dominican Republic plus work, you may need a visa. Browse the Dominican government’s guidance on working in Dominican Republic as a international national and how to get a visa.

Health care in Dominican Republic

Read the assistance with international parental child abduction if your child may be in danger of this. Information sets out essential information with regard to British citizens moving in order to or living in Dominican Republic. Read about how the British Charge in Santo Domingo can assist. Dial +1 (809) 682-2151 Ext. 2525 to report a missing kid.


If you have been the victim of the rape or sexual strike in Dominican Republic, read the guidance for victims associated with rape and sexual attack in the Dominican Republic. Find also guidance for victims of rape and lovemaking assault abroad. Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to declare them. Contact the relevant advanced schooling provider in Dominican Republic to check what fees you need to pay. Read the guidance if you need to journey with medicines.

Doing work in Dominican Republic

If you’re requested a letter authenticating, certifying or validating your UK driver’s licence, you should contact your UK issuing office (eg the DVLA)

Studying in Dominican Republic

If someone dies in Dominican Republic read our guidance on: Support for British Nationals Abroad: A Guide sets out how British nationals can stay safe abroad and how the FCDO can help should you choose get into difficulty. To approve your driving license, you will need to get a copy certified by a UNITED KINGDOM notary or lawyer in the UK. Once this is done, the Legalisation Office in the UK has to attach an apostille and return the legalised driving license to you. You need to consult a lawyer with related experience before purchasing any property in the Dominican Republic. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Dominican Republic.


If you’re the particular victim of a crime, have been arrested, or are affected by an emergency, contact the British Charge Santo Domingo. You should look at your prescriptions are legal within Dominican Republic.


Discover driving abroad. Read guidance on:


This information is provided as a guide only. You should get defined information from the Dominican government bodies. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) is not really liable for any inaccuracies in this information. The NHS has info for people moving abroad. This information is offered as a general guide and it is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant private sector organisations and may be subject to change at any time with little or no observe. The FCDO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any kind of inaccuracies in this information. Uk nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority. A range of private bilingual schools is available. Further information on schools and education in the Dominican Republic can be found in the Dominican Ministry of Education website.

Money plus Banking

Make sure you refer to the FCDO Journey Advice for the Dominican Republic for advice on healthcare. If your child has British nationality, you do not need to register the birth with the UK authorities to apply for a Uk passport.

Accomodation and buying property

See your finances when travelling abroad. Life certificates for UK State Pensions

Traveling in the Dominican Republic

If you are planning to study within the Dominican Republic, you will need to apply for the appropriate visa. The Dominican Republic Embassy website recieve more information. If you are on a prescription for just about any medication, you should ensure you possess a supply of it, or can easily obtain it when within Dominican Republic. Certain medicines may not be available in Dominican Republic (including major brands readily available within the UK), and you may be restricted from taking them in to the country. You should consult your own GP before travelling to Dominican Republic to find out about any alternative medication. Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be compensated if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks. If you plan to study in Dominican Republic, you must meet every visa requirements before you traveling. See the Dominican migration authority website and the Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for information on obtaining a college student visa. If you have the UK Blue Badge plus live in Dominican Republic, you should return it to the first UK issuing authority. Dial 911 for that police, ambulance or fire brigade. See how to apply for a visa for australia to enter Dominican Republic in the  Dominican Ministry of Foreign Affairs web site. Check the Dominican Republic travel advice meant for passport validity requirements.

Disabled drivers

See  buying a property abroad.


You can apply for or restore your British passport through Dominican Republic.

Births, marriages and deaths


See moving or retiring abroad. If you retire within Dominican Republic, you can declare your UK State Pension check or new UK Condition Pension. Contact the International Pension Centre for further information.


You should get expert advice on paying tax in Dominican Republic. Find a good English-speaking lawyer in Dominican Republic.

Relationship and civil partnership

If you want to travel to the Dominican Republic with your cat or dog, see the Dominican government’s rules just for entering the country with cats and dogs.

Domestic pets

Once you obtain your certified copy, legalised using the apostille, you must present this to the local authorities along with the rest of the requirements listed on their website. See our own list of English-speaking lawyers within Dominican Republic.


If you intend in order to relocate or work in the Dominican Republic, you must obtain a special visa before traveling. You should consult a lawyer with relevant encounter before banking in the Dominican Republic. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Dominican Republic. Assistance for travelling by road in Dominican Republic discover our Dominican Republic journey advice. Find our travel advice to get Dominican Republic and Overseas Business Risk Guide meant for up-to-date information on entry needs, local laws and customs, safety and emergencies. Read common guidance on  moving or retiring abroad(https://www.gov.uk/moving-or-retiring-abroad). Learn how you can get married or obtain a civil partnership abroad.

Returning to the UK

Read State Pension assistance if you have lived in Australia, Europe or New Zealand and then you’re claiming or waiting to claim your UK State Pension.


If you wish to take your vehicle with you, see taking a automobile out of the UK.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News