What you should do

You should:


You should follow the advice of the Slovak Government and your local authority. You can also read our Slovakia travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Slovakia see our coronavirus travel advice.

Stay up to date

You should:

Attend a citizen outreach meeting

The British Embassy regularly holds events across Slovakia for UK nationals. Attend one of our citizen outreach meetings to keep up to date on working and living in Slovakia.

The Withdrawal Agreement

If you were legally resident in Slovakia before 1 January 2021, your rights will be protected by the Withdrawal Agreement.

You should check that you are correctly registered and should get a new residence document by 30 June 2021 to evidence your rights.

You should also read our guidance on living in Europe.

Visas and residency

If you were legally resident in Slovakia before 1 January 2021, you need to apply for a new residency document (Povolenie na pobyt).

All UK nationals must obtain a new residence card for Third Country (non-EU) nationals (Povolenie na pobyt) by 30 June 2021.

If you do not you may have to pay a fine, but your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement will not be affected. If you have an EU Residence Card, it will become invalid after 30 June 2021, regardless of the card’s expiry date.

Read the Slovak Ministry of Interior guidance for UK nationals, which includes information on the Withdrawal Agreement residency scheme.

You should find the address of your local Foreigners Police department (in Slovak) where you must go to get the new residence card. You can also check how to book an appointment online with the Slovak Foreigners Police Units (in Slovak).

Moving to Slovakia

Check the entry requirements for Slovakia and read the Slovak Ministry of Interior guidance residence permits for more information.

Additional support

If you need additional support to complete your residency application, read the guidance on the UK Nationals Support Fund.

Passports and travel

You should carry your residence card (EU residency card or non-EU card), as well as your valid passport when you travel. If you have applied for a non-EU card but not yet received it, you can carry your certificate of application.

If you have not yet applied for a residence card, you should carry evidence that you are resident in Slovakia. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020.

If you cannot show that you are resident in Slovakia, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area, and your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in Slovakia.


Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. You can apply for or renew your British passport from Slovakia.

You must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). This requirement does not apply if you are in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

Renew your passport before booking your travel if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries. You may have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. You may also need to show a return or onward ticket.

Entry requirements

You can travel to other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism.

To stay longer, than 90 days in any 180-day period, to work or study, or for business travel, you must meet the entry requirements set out by the country you are travelling to. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit.

Periods of time authorised by a visa or permit will not count towards your the 90-day visa-free limit.

Different rules will apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.

Travel to the UK and Ireland has not changed.


Health insurance is compulsory in Slovakia and there are 3 insurance companies you can use:

  • Union zdravotná poisťovňa
  • Dôvera zdravotná poisťovňa
  • Všeobecná zdravotná poisťovňa

Your employer will pay contributions to your health insurance on your behalf.

You need to take your insurance card when visiting a doctor.

Read our guidance on healthcare in Slovakia and make sure you are correctly registered for your circumstances.

State healthcare: S1

You may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK if you live in Slovakia and you:

  • are receiving a UK State Pension
  • are receiving some other ‘exportable benefits’
  • are a frontier worker who lives in Slovakia and commutes to work in the UK
  • have been sent to Slovakia temporarily by your UK employer

Read our guidance on using an S1 form in Slovakia to ensure you are correctly registered for healthcare.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

If you are resident in Slovakia, you must not use your UK-issued EHIC or GHIC for healthcare in Slovakia, unless you are a student or a detached (posted) worker. Current EHICs will remain valid until the expiry date on the card.

If you are living in Slovakia you may be eligible for a new UK-issued EHIC or GHIC if you’re:

  • a UK student in Slovakia
  • a UK State Pensioner with a registered S1
  • a frontier worker with a registered S1

The card you receive will depend on when you moved to Slovakia.

Apply now for a new UK EHIC or GHIC.

An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance.

For more information read our guidance on healthcare when travelling in Europe and advice on foreign travel insurance.

You should also read guidance on:

Working in Slovakia

If you were legally resident in Slovakia before 1 January 2021, you have the right to work, as long as you remain legally resident.

You should ensure you have applied for a new Third Country (non-EU) residence card by 30 June 2021.

Read the Department for International Trade’s guidance on:

and sign up for their updates.

You may need to apply for a UK police certificate.

Your employer must notify the local labour office within 7 working days of you starting your job.

Frontier workers

If you live in Slovakia and were regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country before 1 January 2021, you may need a permit to show you are a frontier worker. You must also apply for a residence card in Slovakia.

If you live in another EU or EFTA country and regularly commuted to work in Slovakia before 1 January 2021, you do not need a frontier worker permit. However, you can request one if you wish.

Read the Slovak Ministry of Interior guidance for UK nationals, which includes information on cross border worker permits.

Money and tax

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Slovakia to ensure you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Slovakia have not changed.

Read guidance about:

You should obtain professional advice on paying tax in Slovakia. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Slovakia.

National Insurance

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Slovakia.


Whether UK banks can provide services to customers living in the EEA is a matter of local law and regulation. Your bank or finance provider should contact you if they need to make any changes to your product or the way they provide it. If you have any concerns about whether you might be affected, contact your provider or seek independent financial advice.

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on banking, insurance and financial services changes for more information on cross-border banking.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Slovakia.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

If you retire in Slovakia you can claim:

If you have worked for at least 15 years and you have reached the retirement age as stipulated under Slovak law, you can claim your pension in Slovakia. You will only need to make one single application covering all the countries where you have worked. You can make your application in person at the nearest Social Insurance Agency’s branch (in Slovak).

If you have worked in the UK or any other EU Member State you need to indicate this on the form. The Slovak authorities will liaise with the relevant governments and agree on the amount that should be paid to you. Each EU Member State where you have worked will send you the appropriate pension payments separately to your bank account. The UK or Slovak authorities will contact you directly if they need further information.

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on pension and retirement changes for more information on cross-border pensions.

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you must respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Slovakia.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit can’t be paid to you if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You may be eligible to claim some Slovak social security benefits.

You can request proof of the time you’ve worked in the UK from HMRC if you are asked for this.

Driving in Slovakia

If you are visiting or you have been resident for less than 185 days, you can drive in Slovakia using your UK driving licence. You do not need an International Driving Permit.

If you were living in Slovakia before 1 January 2021, you can drive in Slovakia on your valid UK driving licence until 2 September 2021.

You must exchange your UK licence for a Slovak one between 5 July 2021 and 2 September 2021. You must do this at your nearest regional police directorate. You do not need to take a driving test.

You need to provide:

  • a valid form of identification, for example, your passport
  • your UK driving licence
  • an official Slovak translation of your UK driving licence. See our list of translators in Slovakia
  • your Residence Card (as evidence that you have completed 185 days of residence)
  • a UK Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) confirmation of your driving licence, including information on your driving categories (groups). You should print out this information
  • an official Slovak translation of the printout of your DVLA confirmation. See our list of translators in Slovakia
  • if you are aged over 65, a medical certificate from your doctor, confirming that you are fit to drive
  • if you want to retain certain driving categories (such as categories C or D, to drive a lorry), a medical certificate and certificate of mental capacity. You can arrange these through your doctor
  • the fee to exchange your licence: 6.50 euros (ready within 30 working days) or 26 euros for an express service of up to 2 working days. Read the Interior Ministry website for fee information.

Read more information on the Slovak police website (in Slovak) and the European Commission affiliated Euraxess website.

After 2 September 2021, you will not be able to drive in Slovakia using your UK licence if you have been resident for 185 days or more. If you have not exchanged your licence by this date, you must apply for a new Slovak licence.

If you plan to leave Slovakia permanently before 2 September 2021, you do not need to exchange your UK driving licence.

Read the European Commission’s guidance on driving licence renewal and exchange

Read our guidance on:

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Slovakia

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

You should read the European Union’s guidance on car registration and taxes in Slovakia. You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so, you will need certificates of exemption.

Driving in the UK with a Slovak licence

You can use your Slovak licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test.


You can vote and stand in local elections in Slovakia if you are a registered resident in Slovakia.

You cannot vote in national parliamentary elections in Slovakia or European Parliament elections.

You may be able to vote in some UK elections. You can:

Births, deaths, getting married

If your child is born in Slovakia, you will need to register the birth abroad.

If someone dies in Slovakia you can:

Find out how you can get married abroad.

Find out about notarial and documentary services for UK nationals in Slovakia.

You may also need:

Accommodation and buying property

Read our guidance on buying a property abroad.


If you have a pet passport issued by Slovakia or another EU member state, you can use it to travel with your pet to Great Britain and elsewhere in the EU.

A GB-issued EU pet passport is not valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. You should speak to your vet before you travel to get the necessary pet travel documents and ensure you’re compliant with the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

Read guidance on:

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.


You can dial the European emergency number 112 or Slovakia also has:

  • 150 for fire and rescue
  • 155 for emergency medical service
  • 158 for police

You can read a list of emergency numbers in Slovakia.

If you’re the victim of crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis abroad, contact the British embassy in Bratislava..

Returning to the UK

Tell the Slovak and UK authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

You need to return your residence card to your local foreign police department when you leave Slovakia.

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

If you get healthcare in Slovakia through the S1 form, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999 to make sure your S1 is cancelled at the right time.

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on, amongst other things, tax, access to services and bringing family members.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Slovak authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.