HomeUnited KingdomGuidance: Living in Oman

Guidance: Living in Oman


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals living in Oman, including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below.

See details of Our Services on our website for more information on the support we can provide for British nationals.

This information supplements the Travel Advice for Oman.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Everyone should comply with the measures put in place in Oman to limit the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). You should comply with any additional screening measures put in place by the local authorities. If you have any questions about these measures or the quarantine instructions, you can call the Ministry of Health in Oman on +968 2444 1999. Failure to follow the instructions of the local authorities could result in prosecution.

Local restrictions on movement and/or activities may be introduced at short notice. You should monitor local news sources or official social media accounts, including the Oman VS COVID-19 twitter account for the latest information. Always follow the instructions of the local authorities.

You can also read Oman travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Oman, see our coronavirus travel advice.

Entry and residence requirements

Information on different entry visas is available on the Royal Oman Police website .

Residence visas are arranged by your sponsor in Oman. In order to obtain a dependent resident visa for your spouse and/or children to join you, you will be required to provide a certified copy of your marriage certificate and your children’s birth certificate to your employer.

The British Embassy is unable to issue a certified copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate issued from the United Kingdom or another British Embassy/High Commission. You must obtain an Apostille on the certificate from the Legalisation Office in the United Kingdom. The document can then be submitted directly to your employer to obtain the dependent resident visa.

A ‘No Objection Letter’ is required from the husband/father in order for wife/children to change their sponsorship to another sponsor or visa. The No Objection Letter can be witnessed at the British Embassy by booking an online appointment through the website.

Residents and visitors in Oman are required to carry identification documents with them at all times.


British passports are no longer issued at British Embassies. Instead, applications should be submitted online and passports will be despatched from the UK. Please ensure you allow sufficient time to renew your passport, and keep your passport in a safe place at all times.

Register a birth abroad


In order to work in Oman you must have an employment visa. If you work without the proper visa, you are breaking the law and could face a fine and/or prison sentence.

The ‘no objection certificate’ (NOC) has been abolished in Oman, as of January 2021. Employees can change employer (if they meet certain conditions e.g. non-compete rules, completion of contract etc) without requiring a NOC.

The British Embassy cannot interfere or provide advice in employment disputes. Individuals should consider seeking legal advice.


Expatriate children attend private fee-paying schools. There are a number to choose from.

The Ministry of Labour requires education certificates to be legalised. It is best to have this done prior to arriving in Oman, otherwise the document needs to be taken to the British Council for verification and then to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for legalisation.

Driving Licences

The British Embassy cannot issue or renew a UK driving licence. Find out more about how to renew or apply for a new UK licence.

UK driving licences that have been held for at least one year can be exchanged for an Omani driving licence. If you have not held your licence for a minimum of one year, you may be required to take a driving test in Oman. You will be required to take an eye test. More guidance is available on Royal Oman Police website.


Most employers provide medical cover for their expatriate employees. If your employer does not provide medical cover you should take out your own comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. All expatriates are required to have a medical examination prior to taking up employment. See the Ministry of Health, Oman .

If you need emergency medical assistance in Oman, dial 9999 and ask for an ambulance. You should contact your insurance/medical assistance company promptly if you are referred to a medical facility for treatment. More information on our Travel Advice.

Some medicines (permitted in the UK) containing psychotropic substances are banned in Oman. You should check your prescriptions are legal in Oman. Further guidance is on our Travel Advice .


Bouncing a cheque is illegal. If a cheque is presented without adequate funds to cover the amount, you could face criminal and civil charges. After you have served your jail sentence you will not be able to leave the country until the funds have been paid in full. Find out more about local laws and customs in Oman.

Owning property

The areas an expatriate can buy property in Oman are on the Al Mouj, Muscat Hills, also residential properties on the Shangri-La Al Jissah development, Jebel Sifah and Muscat Bay. We recommend you seek legal advice before entering a contract to purchase a property.

Death abroad

Upon the death of an expatriate in Oman, bank accounts in Oman will be frozen (even when accounts are jointly held) until the deceased’s assets are distributed. This can be time-consuming if there is no will, due to the need to gather documentary evidence of would-be heirs and present this to a judge.

Expatriates resident in Oman should consider having a will in place to govern the distribution of their assets in Oman when they die. This can be in the form of a worldwide will or an Oman-specific will. You should seek legal advice before entering into binding agreements.

List of Lawyers in Oman

Register a death abroad

Bereavement information: death in Oman

Leaving Oman

If you have been resident of Oman and are leaving for good, you will need to cancel your residency status, close all your accounts (bank and credit cards), pay off debts and clear all traffic or violation fines. Failure to do so could delay your departure or mean you are marked on the immigration system as an absconder or debtor. This could cause problems in the future, even if you only transit through Oman or other GCC countries.

Police Clearance certificates

If you need a good conduct certificate from the UK, you should apply through the ACRO Criminal records Office and then get it legalised for use in Oman.

For information on obtaining a Police Clearance Certificate / Good Conduct Certificate from Oman, visit the [Royal Oman Police website[(https://www.rop.gov.om). The document may need an Apostille from the Oman Ministry of Foreign Affairs in order for it to be used in other Apostille countries.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the Embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News