HomeUnited KingdomGuidance: Living in Montenegro

Guidance: Living in Montenegro

This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Montenegro, including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.

We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our information on what consulates can and cannot do for British nationals.


You should follow the advice of the Montenegro government and your local authority. You can also read Montenegro travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Montenegro, see our coronavirus travel advice.

Stay up to date

You should:


If you are a resident in employment, you are entitled to the same health benefits as a Montenegrin national. Your local employer should be able to obtain a local Medical Card for you.

There is a reciprocal healthcare agreement made between the United Kingdom and Montenegro, which entitles British citizens eligible to NHS medical treatment to free emergency care or immediately necessary medical treatment that arises during your stay in Montenegro.  

In order to exercise the right to a free medical care in Montenegro, British citizens should have a valid British passport, and some evidence of being insured in the UK. If you have a NHS card, HM Revenue & Customs may provide a Medical Certificate for Montenegro. You should have this certificate before you leave the UK. Contact HMRC by telephone +44 191 225 0735.

You are required to present those documents to the office of the Health Fund of Montenegro, which is located in the town where medical treatment is received. The Fund’s office will provide you with a certificate which you will then use to get the treatment in state medical facilities in Montenegro. Feel free to check our list of medical facilities in Montenegro.

The reciprocal agreement does not cover repatriation to the UK or any additional costs, so we highly recommend taking an adequate travel health insurance, to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

British citizens who have moved abroad on a permanent basis might no longer be entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules, depending on whether they are living abroad permanently or only working outside the UK for a set period, recipient of a UK State Pension or other UK benefits. For more useful information visit the NHS Moving Abroad page.

When charged for more specialised medical treatments by the state health institutions in Montenegro, receipts should be provided and the same fees applied as to Montenegrin citizens.

The State Health Scheme or the “Public fund” in Montenegro was introduced a few years ago. Within this system, each patient is allocated to a specific GP, who will provide primary care by appointment. The GP will then refer for investigations or hospital care in those state or private facilities which choose to join the scheme.

Some types of super-specialist medical care are not available in the country, so patients must travel elsewhere. Many doctors will speak at least some English, but finding your way through the local medical system can be sometimes confusing and frustrating, so do use the following guidance, carry a mobile phone, and bring someone with you who speaks local language, if possible.

The private health sector is rapidly developing in Montenegro and British nationals can also choose to use their services to arrange specialist check-ups and treatments, when needed. Please note that most private service providers have not joined the public fund, so their patients, both local and foreign, are required to pay the full costs of their treatment.

Only few types of medical services can be provided by private hospitals at the cost of the Montenegrin public health fund, in cases when public health institution issues certificate to a patient that they are not able to provide specific health service in the given time period defined by the local legislation.

If you need urgent medical assistance, call 114 (+382 124) and speak to the Montenegrin Emergency Centre.


Education in Montenegro is regulated by the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports. Education starts in either pre-schools or primary schools. Children enrol in primary schools (Montenegrin: Osnovna škola) at the age of 6 and it lasts for nine years. Primary education is compulsory to all children age 6 to 15 years and is free of charge.


British nationals may work in Montenegro, provided that they have a work permit. According to the Law on Foreigners, a foreigner who is already in the country should submit their combined work permit and temporary residence request to municipal unit of the Ministry of the Interior of Montenegro in the town where they are registered. Work permits are reviewed at annual basis.

Entry and residence requirements 

Please check our Travel Advice for Montenegro for general entry requirements.

A valid British passport must be held for entry to and exit from Montenegro. Your passport should be undamaged and, in accordance with local law, should be issued in the last 10 years and valid for at least 3 months after your planned date of departure from Montenegro.

British passport holders do not need a visa for visits up to 90 days.

British citizens need to register their presence in Montenegro with the local police or tourism organisation in the town/city where they are staying within 24 hours of arrival in Montenegro, unless staying in a hotel or other commercial accommodation where you’ll be registered automatically on checking in. If you do not register, you may be fined, detained or face a court appearance.

British citizens intending to stay in Montenegro for longer than 90 days, must apply for a visa at their nearest Embassy / Consulate of Montenegro in advance to their arrival to the country or, if already in Montenegro, and if eligible, for a temporary residence permit with the Ministry of the Interior of the Montenegro before the 90 days are up.

Under Montenegrin law you must carry a valid form of ID with you at all times, for example a driving licence, passport or equivalent, otherwise you may be fined. Keep a photocopy of your passport in a safe place.


If you have retired and you live in Montenegro, you could claim your pension from the UK. For more information please visit UK benefits abroad page.

If you spend time in both the UK and another country, and are unsure about how this affects your UK pension, benefit and healthcare rights, always consult the relevant UK authority and the local pension office where they will tell you what you are able to claim.

If you have received a life certificate from the UK Pension Service it is important that you reply as quickly as possible otherwise your benefit may be stopped.

To find out what UK benefits you might be able to get while abroad and how to claim them please visit benefits if you’re abroad and moving and retiring abroad webpages. 

Driving licences and vehicles

The Embassy cannot issue or renew a UK driving licence. Please contact the DVLA for information about renewing a licence or applying for a new licence

To drive in Montenegro, you must have a valid driving licence. If you are taking your car, you must have vehicle registration / ownership documents and a locally valid insurance policy.

The Ministry of Interior of Montenegro is the responsible authority for replacing foreign driving licences and registration of vehicles.

The Embassy is aware of the current policy by the local authorities to retain British driver’s licences when applying for a Montenegrin driver’s licence. Please note: UK driving licences seized by the Montenegrin authorities are returned to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in the UK.


Individuals residing in Montenegro can open an account at most banks in Montenegro. Valid ID is necessary (for British nationals this means a valid British passport). The bank may have additional requirements depending on your residence status, type of account, business/income source, etc.

Taxation is a complex issue and it is strongly recommended that professional advice is sought. Severe penalties for incorrect, incomplete or late reporting can be incurred and the legislation also means that criminal charges can be brought in the case of non-compliance.

Guidance on bringing medication into Montenegro

Individuals are allowed to bring medications for personal use based on the prescription, in amounts required for the medical treatment only. 

Bringing intoxicating drugs into country is forbidden. There are some exemptions for medications containing intoxicating drugs in amount for personal use only. The name and quantity of those drugs have to be reported to the Customs, and a valid report of a medical institution presented.

This must contain MD specialist confirmation of the necessity of that medical treatment, quantity of the medication needed and length for medical treatment prescribed. 

Possession of intoxicating drugs without necessary medical documentation or failure to report the possession of a such drug to the Customs is an offence, and such drug will be taken away from the individual under special supervision.

More detailed information on this subject can be obtained from the Customs Administration Office.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the Embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News