HomeUnited KingdomGuidance: Living in Liechtenstein

Guidance: Living in Liechtenstein

What you should do

You should:


You should follow the advice of the Liechtenstein Government and your local authority. You can also read our Liechtenstein travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Liechtenstein see our coronavirus travel advice.

Stay up to date

You should:

The British Embassy regularly holds events for UK nationals in Liechtenstein and online (Facebook). To keep up to date on working and living in Liechtenstein, you can also read the EEA EFTA Separation Agreement.

Visas and residency

If you were legally resident in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021, you will be able to stay and your current residence permit will remain valid. You will need to renew your residence permit when your current one expires.

Read the Liechtenstein government’s guidance on residency.

Moving to Liechtenstein

Check the entry requirements for Liechtenstein.

If you move to Liechtenstein, you must register at your local office of resident services. If you intend to stay for more than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit with your local authority.

Read the Liechtenstein government’s guidance on entry requirements and residency permits.

Passports and travel

You should carry your residence permit, as well as your valid passport when you travel. If you have applied but not yet received your card, carry your certificate of application.

If you have not yet applied for a residence permit, you should carry evidence that you are resident in Liechtenstein. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name, dating from 2020.

If you cannot show that you are resident in Liechtenstein, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area, and your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in Liechtenstein.


Check the Liechtenstein travel advice for passport validity requirements. You can apply for or renew your British passport from Liechtenstein.

As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries. You may have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. You may also need to show a return or onward ticket.

Entry requirements

You can travel to other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism.

To stay longer than 90 days in any 180-day period, to work or study, or for business travel, you must meet the entry requirements set out by the country you are travelling to. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit.

If you stay in Liechtenstein with a residence permit or long-stay visa, this does not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

Different rules will apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.

Travel to the UK and Ireland has not changed.


Social security coordination is covered by the Separation Agreement for those residing in Liechtenstein. Healthcare arrangements continue to apply in full to UK nationals who were resident in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021, for as long as they remain in scope of the agreement.

Read our guidance on accessing healthcare in Liechtenstein and make sure you’re correctly registered for your circumstances.

State healthcare: S1

If you have a registered S1 form and were living in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021, your rights to access healthcare will stay the same if you either:

  • receive a UK State Pension
  • receive some other ‘exportable benefits’
  • are a frontier worker who lives in Liechtenstein and commutes to work in the UK
  • are a ‘posted’ worker: you have been sent to Liechtenstein temporarily by your UK employer

Read our guidance on using an S1 form in Liechtenstein to ensure you are correctly registered for healthcare

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

If you are resident in Liechtenstein, you must not use your UK-issued EHIC for healthcare in Liechtenstein, unless you are a student or a detached (posted) worker.

Who needs to apply for a new EHIC

If you were living in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021, you may be eligible for a new UK-issued EHIC if you are:

  • a UK student in Liechtenstein
  • a UK State Pensioner with a registered S1
  • a frontier worker with a registered S1
  • a ‘posted’ worker: you have been sent to Liechtenstein temporarily by your employer

Apply now for a new UK EHIC.

Old UK-issued EHICs and UK-issued GHICs are not valid for healthcare in Liechtenstein.

An EHIC or GHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance.

For more information read our guidance on healthcare when travelling in Europe and advice on foreign travel insurance.

You should also read guidance on:

Working in Liechtenstein

If you were legally resident in Liechtenstein before 1 January 2021, you have the right to work, as long as you remain legally resident.

Read the Department for International Trade’s guidance on:

and sign up for their updates.

If you are planning to come to Liechtenstein to work, you may need a visa. Read the Liechtenstein government’s guidance on residency and work permits.

If you live abroad and require a police certificate from the UK, you can apply for one through the ACRO Criminal Record Office.

Frontier workers

If you were legally resident in Liechtenstein and regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country before 1 January 2021, read our guidance for frontier workers. 

Money and tax

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Liechtenstein to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief.

Existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Liechtenstein have not changed.

Read the guidance on:

You should get professional advice on paying tax in Liechtenstein. You can find English-speaking lawyers in Liechtenstein.

National Insurance

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Liechtenstein.


Whether UK banks can provide services to customers living in the EEA is a matter of local law and regulation. Your bank or finance provider should contact you if they need to make any changes to your product or the way they provide it. If you have any concerns about whether you might be affected, contact your provider or seek independent financial advice.

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on banking, insurance and financial services changes for more information on cross-border banking.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Liechtenstein.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Read our State Pension guidance if you have lived in Australia, Canada or New Zealand and you are claiming or waiting to claim your UK State Pension.

If you retire in Liechtenstein you can claim:

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on pension and retirement changes for more information on cross-border pensions.

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Liechtenstein.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as pension credit and housing benefit cannot be paid to you if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You can request proof of the time you’ve worked in the UK from HMRC if you are asked for this.

Liechtenstein benefits

You may be eligible to claim some Liechtenstein social security benefits. Read Liechtenstein social security benefits.

Driving in Liechtenstein

If you are resident in Liechtenstein, you have 12 months to exchange your UK licence for a Liechtenstein one.

For information on driving in Liechtenstein, read the guidance on:

Driving in the UK with a Liechtenstein licence

You can use your Liechtenstein licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test. We will update these pages if there are any changes to the rules, as soon as information is available.

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Liechtenstein

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

Read the EU´s guidance on car registration and taxes in Liechtenstein. You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so, you will need certificates of exemption.


You may be able to vote in some UK elections.

Births, deaths and getting married

If your child is born in Liechtenstein, you will need to register a birth abroad.

If someone dies in Liechtenstein:

Find out about how to get married abroad

You may also need:

Accommodation and buying property

Read the guidance on buying a property abroad.


If you have a pet passport issued by Liechtenstein or an EU member state, you can use it to travel with your pet to Great Britain and elsewhere in the EU.

A GB-issued EU pet passport is not valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. You should speak to your vet before you travel to get the necessary pet travel documents and ensure you’re compliant with the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

Read guidance on:

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.


You can dial the European emergency number 112 in Liechtenstein or:

  • 117 for police
  • 118 for fire brigade
  • 140 for alpine rescue

If you’re the victim of crime, have been arrested, or are affected by a crisis abroad, contact the British Embassy Berne.

Returning to the UK

Tell the UK and the Liechtenstein authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

If you get healthcare in Liechtenstein through the S1 form, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999 to make sure your S1 is cancelled at the right time.

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on, amongst other things, tax, access to services and bringing family members.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Liechtenstein authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News