HomeUnited KingdomGuidance: Living in Eswatini

Guidance: Living in Eswatini


You can apply for your first passport or renew your British passport from Eswatini. You can rent accommodation from any local real estate agents or from the owner.

Visas and residency

Marriage registrations must be made at the Eswatini Ministry of Home Affairs headquarters. For more information, contact the International Pension Centre. Check what documents you need to register a death on the Eswatini government website.

Passports and travel

If you are on a prescription for any medication you should ensure you have a supply of it, or are able to obtain it when in Eswatini. Certain medicines may not be available in Eswatini (including major brands readily available in the UK), and you may be prohibited from taking them into the country. You should consult your GP before travelling to Eswatini to find out about any alternative medication. If you’re planning to take your vehicle with you, see guidance on taking vehicles out of the UK.

Healthcare in Eswatini

Read guidance if you need to travel abroad with medicines. For guidance on for travelling by road, see Eswatini travel advice. For import and exportation of pets, a permit/certificate must be obtained from Eswatini Department of Veterinary and the UK Veterinary Office. Foreign nationals are not permitted to purchase property in Eswatini. You can find out more information by researching online (Inside Biz) or speaking to a local lawyer.

Medical aid and insurance

You can get further guidance on the regulations from the Department of Veterinary and Livestock Services in the Ministry of Agriculture. Check what documents you need to register your marriage on the Eswatini government website.


Ministry of Agriculture Headquarters

The Director of Veterinary and Livestock Services

P.O. Box 162


Tel: 2404 2731/9 or 2404 6362

Some local and foreign nationals have medical-aid packages as part of their employment terms and conditions, which cover the costs of using private-sector facilities.

Working in Eswatini

Contact the relevant school or institution in Eswatini to check what fees you have to pay. Check out the International Drivers Association website for more information on driving in Eswatini and how to apply for an International Driving Permit. Read detailed guidance on what to do if a British person dies in Eswatini.

Studying in Eswatini

The requirements for registering a birth are on the Eswatini government website. Births in Eswatini must be registered within 60 days at Ministry of Home Affairs. There may be different requirements if a birth is registered after 60 days. Eswatini has private and publicly-provided health care. Government and mission (provided by the church) healthcare providers are often oversubscribed. Many local and foreign nationals use private sector facilities.

  1. Complete application form (Form 10)
  2. Two passport-sized photos
  3. Letter from school/institution
  4. Support letter from Ministry of Education
  5. Police clearance from country of origin (above 18 years)
  6. Medical certificate
  7. Copy of your passport

Widely-used medical aid schemes include SwaziMed and Medical Services Organisation. Medical insurance is provided by Eswatini Royal Insurance Corporation and Lidwala Health. Other medical providers are available. You should do your research, and speak to your employer, to find out what provider is appropriate for you. If you are planning to move to Eswatini to live, you will need to apply for a temporary or permanent residence permit. You should apply for this at the Ministry of Home Affairs headquarters in Mbabane in person.


Your marriage or civil partnership will be recognised in the UK if: UK passport holders do not need a visa to enter Eswatini. A list of medical facilities in Eswatini is on this website.


You will usually need to provide: Eswatini has 5 major banks where you can open an account:


Read general guidance on driving abroad. You should get legal advice before making any plans.

Money and banking

If you have a UK Blue Badge and live in Eswatini, you must return it to the original UK-issuing authority. You must get permission to marry in Eswatini from the Ministry of Home Affairs. To check what documents you need to apply for marriage, read the Ministry of Home Affairs website. See guidance on buying a property abroad.

  1. Valid passport
  2. Proof of residence
  3. Residence/work permits

Accommodation and buying property

Information about services at government and mission healthcare facilities is on the Eswatini government website. Read guidance on: Eswatini entry visa applications are managed by the Ministry of Home Affairs Headquarters in Mbabane, or at the country’s diplomatic missions and representative offices. Contact the Eswatini High Commission in London.

Driving in Eswatini

Director of Veterinary Services Dr Xolani Dlamini Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks. Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them. If you are moving to Eswatini with family members (‘dependants’), they will also need to apply for a temporal residence permit. The UK has a double-taxation agreement with Swaziland so that you do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief. You should get professional advice on paying tax in Eswatini. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Eswatini.

Disabled drivers

If you are planning to move to Eswatini to work, you will need to apply in person for a work permit at the Eswatini Ministry of Home Affairs. Work permits are only issued for the position specified in your employment letter. The work permit becomes invalid when you receive a promotion or employment is terminated.

Births, deaths, marriage and civil partnership


Read Eswatini travel advice and the TravelHealthPro website for entry requirements. No marriage can be registered once one partner or both are dead. See further guidance on registering a birth abroad.


Each bank may have different conditions to open an account. We recommend that you contact the bank of your choice to find out their requirement and fees. If you’re asked for a letter authenticating, certifying or validating your UK driver’s licence, you should contact your UK issuing office, for example, the DVLA. All copies of documents must be certified.


You should follow the advice of the Eswatini government and your local authorities. The Eswatini authorities are recommending that all citizens should get vaccinated as soon as possible, or receive their booster vaccination.

  • you followed the correct process in the country where you got married and
  • it would be allowed under UK law

If you or a dependant is planning to study in Eswatini, you must meet all visa requirements. You should apply at the Eswatini Ministry of Home Affairs. Where one party is divorced or widowed, the marriage officer must ensure that a copy of a divorce decree or administration of estate certificate is attached. Mobile: (+268) 7606 2602 Check the Eswatini travel advice for passport validity requirements.

Marriage and civil partnership

Many people keep pets in Eswatini. You should ensure your pets are vaccinated regularly (once a year). Find out what documents you need to apply for a temporal residence permit on the Eswatini government website. Deaths in Eswatini must be registered within 60 days at the Eswatini Ministry of Home Affairs headquarters.


An Eswatini birth certificate will be accepted in the UK, for example, when you apply for a passport or register with a school or doctor. You can use your country’s driving licence in the Kingdom of Eswatini. You can also use an International Driving Permit, in addition to your national driver’s licence. The UK does not issue certificates of no impediment (CNI) for marriages in Commonwealth countries. You’ll need to explain this if you’re asked to provide a CNI or a similar document to prove you’re allowed to marry.

Students will need to provide:

Some local and foreign nationals travel to Mbombela (formerly Nelspruit) or Johannesburg, South Africa, for specialist medical diagnosis and treatment. Your medical provider will be able to give advice on where you need to be treated. If you retire in Eswatini, you can claim your UK State Pension or new UK State Pension.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News