HomeUnited KingdomDetailed guide: Living in Venezuela

Detailed guide: Living in Venezuela

Before you go

See our travel advice for Venezuela for up-to-date information on local laws and customs, safety and emergencies.

See moving or retiring abroad and our support for British Nationals abroad: a guide.

Visas and residency

Please see entry requirements for Venezuela in our travel advice.

British-Venezuelan dual nationals must enter and leave Venezuela using their Venezuelan passport. Venezuelan entry and exit requirements for dual nationals may change without notice. For further information check with the Venezuelan Embassy in London.

For information on Venezuelan immigration laws and regulations, please contact the Venezuelan Embassy in London or, if you are already in Venezuela, please direct any queries to the respective Venezuelan immigration authority: SAIME.


Please see the health section of our travel advice for Venezuela.

Medical facilities in Venezuela vary widely in quality. In large cities, private clinics can provide acceptable quality care for routine treatments but are vulnerable to acute shortages of medical supplies and medicines. More complex treatments may require evacuation.

Make sure you have adequate travel health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation. Public health facilities are poor, with frequent shortages of medicines and funding. Ambulance services in remote areas are unreliable and hospitals often lack adequate medical supplies and equipment.

For mental health matters, see our travel and mental health guidance for a list of UK and international organisations that can offer support.

You may also consult a list of local medical facilities here.


You should follow the advice of local Venezuelan health authorities. You can also read our Venezuela travel advice for our latest guidance.

For information on getting a COVID-19 vaccine as a UK national in Venezuela see our coronavirus travel advice.

Working in Venezuela

See permanencia en Venezuela for information on obtaining the right to work and/or remain in Venezuela.

If in the UK, please contact the Venezuelan Embassy in London.

Some jobs may require a UK criminal records check (known as a DBS check).


See tax if you leave the UK to live abroad and tax on your UK income if you live abroad.

We recommend you get professional advice on paying tax in Venezuela.

For local information on taxes, please contact the Servicio Nacional Integrado de Administración Aduanera y Tributaria (SENIAT).

You may be able to pay National Insurance while abroad in order to protect your State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.


See State Pension if you retire abroad and new State Pension.

Venezuela and the UK do not have a bilateral agreement on Pension funds. If you have any queries in respect to local pension laws and procedures, please contact the Instituto Venezolano de los Seguros Sociales (IVSS)

The British Embassy is unable to provide a letter confirming your national insurance contributions in the UK, and you will need to direct your enquiry to Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs.


See claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad.

Find out which UK benefits you might be able to get while you’re abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit can’t be paid if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.


Requirements to open a bank account in Venezuela vary, but you will normally need to have a “cedula” (Venezuelan-issued photo ID for nationals and residents) or the appropriate residence visa/permit along with a valid passport. Please check in advance with the financial institution of your preference in respect to specific requirements.

See our guidance on financial assistance abroad and our support for British nationals abroad: a guide.

Driving in Venezuela

See driving abroad.

You can drive in Venezuela using a British driving licence for up to 1 year. After that you will need to get a Venezuelan driving licence. Make sure you have copies of insurance documents, driving licence and passport with you at all times.

For information on how to obtain the relevant permissions for your vehicle or how to obtain a local driving licence, contact Instituto Nacional de Transporte Terreste (INTT).

For a confirmation certificate of your UK driving licence, you need to contact the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency.


British citizens living abroad can vote in some UK elections – you’ll need to register as an overseas voter.


See register a birth abroad.


See what to do after someone dies.

Getting married

See getting married abroad.

Renewing passports

See overseas British passports applications and get an emergency travel document.


See travelling with pets.


If you need emergency assistance dial 911 from a landline or a mobile phone. Calls to this number are free of charge.

If you need urgent help, contact the British Embassy in Caracas.

Accommodation and buying property

See buying a property abroad.


The Ministerio del Poder Popular para la Educacion is responsible for the public and private education systems in Venezuela. There are both private and public schools throughout the country. The education quality varies highly. There are some international schools.

Other useful information


Please note that this information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCDO and the British Embassy will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News