HomeUnited KingdomDetailed guide: Living in Trinidad & Tobago

Detailed guide: Living in Trinidad & Tobago


This guide sets out essential information for British nationals residing in Trinidad & Tobago including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. The British High Commission, Port of Spain do provide Consular assistance to British nationals in Trinidad & Tobago please view our services


You should follow the advice of the Trinidad and Tobago government and your local authority. You can also read our travel advice for Trinidad and Tobago for our latest guidance.

For information on vaccines abroad, see our COVID-19 travel guidance and our travel advice for Trinidad and Tobago.

Entry requirements

If you are British and hold a passport for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it’s Territories and Dependencies you do not require a visa for business, vacation, flight connections or employment. Please visit the Trinidad & Tobago government immigration website to find out more.

A valid British passport must be held for entry to and exit from Trinidad & Tobago as a visitor. There is no minimum passport validity requirement but you should ensure that your passport is valid for the duration of your stay in Trinidad & Tobago. Please check the entry requirements on the Trinidad & Tobago government website.

Residence requirements

British citizens who pre-qualify to reside in Trinidad & Tobago can apply for residency by completing forms: No. P & I-6 ; in person and only available at the Ministry of National Security, Knox Street, Port of Spain, in Trinidad and the Immigration Office, Scarborough, in Tobago.

For further details, supporting documents and fees needed please visit: Ministry of National Security Trinidad &Tobago and
Immigration Trinidad &Tobago.

British citizens who want to sponsor family members and or minors to reside in Trinidad & Tobago must follow the same criteria and procedure for ‘residence requirements’ above.


Trinidad & Tobago operates under a two-tier health care system. That is, there is the existence of both private health care facilities and public health care facilities.

Public health care is available free of charge to both citizens and foreign nationals. For public health care facilities and services visit: Ministry of Health

Private health care is available to anyone who can afford it. Credit card facilities and insurance schemes and plans are accepted and honoured at these institutions.

For a listing of registered private doctors, institutions and dentist visit:


Education in Trinidad & Tobago is free to foreign nationals from 3 years to 16 years at Government and Government Assisted Early Childhood, Primary and Secondary schools. Parents and or guardians must register at the school of their choice using an enrolment form for non-nationals. These forms can be acquired from the school, the Ministry of Education offices or the School’s division offices.

For a list of schools, information and Ministry of Education offices visit the Ministry of Education website.

Government and Government Assisted schools do have a capacity allotment; after which students can be turned away due to full classes. Therefore several Government and Government Assisted schools should be chosen for registration.

Private schools are also available in Trinidad & Tobago at all levels. This listing can also be viewed on the Ministry of Education’s website: Ministry of Education

Private nurseries and pre-schools are vastly available in all areas of Trinidad & Tobago. For a listing please visit: preschool listing

For tertiary education and for students over the age of 18 years a student’s visa or student’s permit will be required. For information please visit: Immigration


British nationals can work in Trinidad & Tobago providing they have the required authority to do so and the correct documents, for information: Work Permits


British nationals resident and non-resident are entitled to a number of benefits from the Trinidad & Tobago government once they meet the requirements. For further information please click here or here

Driving licenses and vehicles

The embassy cannot issue or renew a UK driving license. Contact the DVLA for information about renewing a license or applying for a new license.

Driving in Trinidad and Tobago

The minimum age to drive a rental vehicle in Trinidad and Tobago is 25 years. You can drive for up to 90 days on a UK driver’s permit in Trinidad and Tobago after which you must obtain an international driving permit.

Driving in Trinidad and Tobago is on the left hand side of the road. The speed limits are 43mph in towns and up to 50mph on the highways.

The roads in Trinidad and Tobago are generally good, but traffic in the larger towns can be very heavy at times.

For general regulations and further information on driving in Trinidad and Tobago, visit the Ministry of Transport website.

Information on importing your UK-registered vehicle from the UK to Trinidad and Tobago is available from the Trinidad &Tobago customs website


Trinidad and Tobago have many banks for expats to choose from and several of these are international banks. Opening an account with an international bank has many benefits, as you will be able to use the debit cards in ATMs in many locations and will not be limited to local transactions.

A current account in Trinidad and Tobago is also known as a Transactional Account. This is a day to day bank account and there are a certain number of requirements which need to be met before you can open an account.

For information, useful links, guidance on account opening and investing your money visit the Central Bank of Trinidad and Tobago website.


There are important tax issues which affect all aspects of foreign investment in Trinidad & Tobago, including the decision to invest and the choice of structure to pursue the investment.

As part of the undertaking to improve the conditions for investment, there have been a series of tax reforms including reductions in the rates of corporation and income tax.

Taxation is a complex issue and it is strongly recommended that professional advice is sought. For information visit the Ministry of Finance of Trinidad and Tobago website or Trinidad Law for further information.

Bringing medication into Trinidad and Tobago

Talk to your doctor or a travel medicine specialist and discuss both the prescription and over the counter medicines that you will need to take with you. You should take only medicine that you need for personal use.
You can contact the embassy of the country you are visiting to ensure the medicine is legal there. It is advisable to carry a letter from your doctor about your prescription medicines. The letter should include the name of the medicine, how much you are taking or sending and stating that the medicine is for your personal use.

All medicines should be kept in their original container displaying your name and dosage requirements, and carried in hand luggage to prevent their loss.

For further information visit the Ministry of Health website or the Trinidad and Tobago High Commission

Social ethics and traditions

Trinidad and Tobago has a conservative attitude to homosexuality and homophobic views are common. Sodomy remains a criminal offence, although penalties concerning sexual relations between members of the same sex are rarely enforced.

There is no overtly public gay scene in Trinidad and Tobago and no gay and lesbian publications.

Returning to the UK

If you live in Trinidad and Tobago and considering returning to live in the UK, you should consider how you will support yourself and how non-British members of your family may be able to accompany you. There is information available to help you make informed choices about living abroad and thinking about returning to the UK.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office makes no representation as to the quality or accuracy of the information which is available at the web addresses listed nor do we endorse them. We are not involved in the production or sale of the company’s products nor do we monitor their quality.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News