HomeUnited KingdomDetailed guide: Living in Hungary

Detailed guide: Living in Hungary

What you should do


You should follow the advice of the Hungarian Government and your local authority. You can also read our Hungary travel advice for our latest guidance.

Stay up to date

You should:

Attend a citizen outreach meeting

The British Embassy regularly holds events across Hungary for UK nationals. Attend one of our citizen outreach meetings to keep up to date on working and living in Hungary.

The Withdrawal Agreement

If you were legally resident in Hungary before 1 January 2021, your rights will be protected by the Withdrawal Agreement. You must apply for a new residence status by 31 December 2021 to secure your rights.

You should also read our guidance on living in Europe.

Visas and residency

You must carry your ID or passport at all times – a copy of your ID or passport won’t be accepted.


If you were legally resident in Hungary before 1 January 2021, you must apply for a new Hungarian National Permanent Residence Permit. You need this permit to secure your rights under the Withdrawal Agreement.

You must submit your application for the new permit by 31 December 2021. You need to apply even if you have an existing residency document. Your family members can also apply if necessary.

Most people will only need to show their current residency document and passport to apply. If you did not get a residency document under the old EU rules, you can show you were in Hungary before 1 January by submitting documents such as a work contract or a house rental agreement.

Until you receive your new National Permanent Residence Permit, your previous residency documents remain valid.

You can find more information about the process on the Hungarian immigration authority website, known as the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.

You can apply online for the National Permanent Residence Permit through the Enter Hungary portal. As part of the online process, you will be asked to make an in-person appointment within 15 days to submit your biometric data for the new permit.

You may also apply in person at your local branch of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing.

Read the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing’s guidance on how to apply online.

You can find general background information on the Hungarian government’s central website about the UK’s departure from the EU.

If you move to a different town in Hungary, you must register your address again at the local Government Office (Kormányablak).

Moving to Hungary

Check the entry requirements for Hungary and read the Hungarian government’s guidance on applying for visas.

Read the Hungarian government’s guidance on residency permits for third country nationals.

Passports and travel

You should carry your residence document, as well as your valid passport when you travel. If you have applied but not yet received your document, carry your certificate of application.

If you have not yet applied for a residence document, you should carry evidence that you are resident in Hungary. This could include a tenancy agreement or a utility bill in your name from 2020.

If you cannot show that you are resident in Hungary, you may be asked additional questions at the border to enter the Schengen area, and your passport may be stamped on entry and exit. This will not affect your rights in Hungary.


Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. You can apply for or renew your British passport from Hungary.

You must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). This requirement does not apply if you are entering or transiting to Hungary, and you are in scope of the Withdrawal Agreement.

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.

Renew your passport before booking your travel if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

As a non-EEA national, different border checks will apply when travelling to other EU or Schengen area countries. You may may have to use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing. You may also need to show a return or onward ticket.

Entry requirements

You can travel to other Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa for purposes such as tourism.

To stay longer than 90 days in any 180-day period to work or study, or for business travel, you must meet the entry requirements set out by the country you are travelling to. This could mean applying for a visa or work permit.

Periods of time authorised by a visa or permit will not count towards your 90-day visa-free limit.

Different rules will apply to EU countries that are not part of the Schengen Area. Check each country’s travel advice page for information on entry requirements.

Travel to the UK and Ireland has not changed.

Driving in Hungary

You can use your UK licence for one year from the date you move to Hungary. After one year, you must exchange it for a Hungarian licence. You do not have to take a driving test or exam to exchange your licence.

Read the guidance on:

When driving, you should always have:

  • your driving licence
  • your car papers
  • your insurance paper
  • your MOT certificate
  • your passport or ID and those of your passengers
  • a high-visibility jacket
  • a red warning triangle
  • first aid kit

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Hungary

Read our guidance on taking a vehicle out of the UK.

Read the European Union’s guidance on car registration and taxes in Hungary. You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so you will need certificates of exemption.

Driving in the UK with a Hungarian licence

You can use your Hungarian licence in the UK for short visits, or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test. We will update these pages if there are any changes to the rules, as soon as information is available.


You must be registered for healthcare as a resident in Hungary and hold a TAJ card. You can apply for a TAJ card at your local Government Office (Kormányablak).

If you are employed in Hungary, state health insurance is normally arranged through your employer. Insurance contributions will be deducted from your wages. If you’re self-employed, you can arrange to make voluntary contributions (in Hungarian) through the National Tax and Customs Administration Office.

If you’re seconded to Hungary by your company, there are special rules regarding health insurance. You should contact your company’s HR department.

Read our guidance on healthcare in Hungary and make sure you’re correctly registered.

If your UK employer has sent you to Hungary temporarily, your access to healthcare is different. Find out how to access healthcare as a posted worker.

State healthcare: S1

If you have a registered S1 form and were living in Hungary before 1 January 2021, your rights to access healthcare will stay the same from if you’re either:

  • receiving a UK State Pension
  • receiving some other ‘exportable benefits’
  • a frontier worker who lives in Hungary and commutes to work in the UK

Read our guidance on using an S1 form in Hungary to ensure you’re correctly registered for healthcare.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

If you are resident in Hungary, you must not use your UK-issued EHIC for healthcare in Hungary.

If you were living in Hungary before 1 January 2021, you may be eligible for a new UK-issued EHIC if you’re:

  • a UK student in Hungary
  • a UK State Pensioner with a registered S1
  • a frontier worker with a registered S1

Apply now for a new UK EHIC.

An EHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance.

For more information read our guidance on healthcare when travelling in Europe and advice on foreign travel insurance.

You should also read guidance on:

Working in Hungary

If you were legally resident in Hungary before 1 January 2021, you have the right to work, as long as you remain legally resident.

You may need to apply for a UK police certificate.

If you are planning to come to Hungary to work, you may need a work permit. Read the Hungarian government’s guidance on permits.

Frontier workers

If you live in Hungary and were regularly commuting to work in another EU or EFTA country, before 1 January 2021 you may need a permit to prove that you are a frontier worker. You must also apply for the new residency document in Hungary.

If you live in the UK or another EU or EFTA country and regularly commuted to work in Hungary before 1 January 2021 you need a permit. You must apply for the permit by 31 March 2021.

Read the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing guidance for UK nationals, which includes information on the frontier worker permit.

Education and professional qualifications

You will be eligible for broadly the same support as Hungarian nationals, as long as you were legally resident in Hungary before 1 January 2021. You must apply for a residence document in Hungary.

Read our guidance on:

Moving to Hungary to study

If you are planning to study in Hungary, make sure you meet all visa requirements before you arrive. Contact the relevant Higher Education provider in Hungary to check what fees you may have to pay.

For more information read studying in the European Union.

Professional qualifications

You may need to get your professional qualification recognised if you want to work in a profession that is regulated in Hungary. When doing this, you will be subject to the third country regulations.

Read the Hungarian government’s guidance on how to request recognition of your qualifications.

If your qualification was officially recognised by the relevant regulator in Hungary before 1 January 2021, make sure you understand the terms of your recognition decision by checking with that regulator.

Money and tax

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Hungary to ensure people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries. Ask the relevant tax authority your questions about double taxation relief.

Existing double taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Hungary have not changed following the UK’s withdrawal from the EU.

Read guidance on:

In order to pay income tax in Hungary you need to get an income tax card (Adóigazolvány) with your tax number (Adóazonosító) from your local National Tax and Customs office.

You should get professional advice on paying tax in Hungary. Find an English-speaking lawyer in Hungary.

National Insurance

Find out if you need to pay National Insurance in the UK or social security contributions in Hungary.


Whether UK banks can provide services to customers living in the EEA is a matter of local law and regulation. Your bank or finance provider should contact you if they need to make any changes to your product or the way they provide it. If you have any concerns about whether you might be affected, contact your provider or seek independent financial advice.

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on banking, insurance and financial services changes for more information on cross-border banking.

Declaration of assets

All residents must declare assets outside Hungary, including bank accounts, securities, rights, insurance, annuities and property. The declaration is separate to the annual tax return, and there are severe penalties and criminal charges for non-compliance.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Hungary.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

If you retire to Hungary you can claim:

Read the Money and Pension Service guidance on pension and retirement changes for more information on cross-border pensions.

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t.


Read our guidance on entitlement to UK benefits and pensions while you are living in Hungary.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

Check which UK benefits you can claim while abroad and how to claim them.

Many income-related benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit cannot be paid to you if you’re abroad for more than 4 weeks.

You may be eligible to claim some Hungarian social security benefits – see Hungarian social security benefits.

You can request proof of the time you’ve worked in the UK from HMRC if you are asked for this.

Under existing Hungarian legislation, Hungarian citizens (including those who have repatriated to Hungary and persons holding dual nationality) as well as citizens of other EU Member States over the age of 65 years can travel free of charge on public transport services in Hungary, including BKV in Budapest.


If you are permanent resident in Hungary you can vote in local municipal elections.

You cannot vote in European Parliament elections.

You may be able to vote in some UK elections.

Births, deaths and getting married

If your child is born in Hungary, you will need to register a birth abroad.

If someone dies in Hungary:

Find out how you can get married abroad.

Find out about notarial and documentary services for UK nationals in Hungary.

Accommodation and buying property

See buying a property abroad.


If you have a pet passport issued by Hungary or another EU member state, you can use it to travel with your pet to Great Britain and elsewhere in the EU.

A GB-issued EU pet passport is not valid for travel to the EU or Northern Ireland. You should speak to your vet before you travel to get the necessary pet travel documents and ensure you’re compliant with the EU Pet Travel Regulations.

Read guidance on:

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.


As well as the European emergency number 112, Hungary also has:

  • 104 – ambulance and emergency medical services
  • 105 – fire-brigade, rescue services, civil protection
  • 107 – police

See Hungary – emergency numbers.

If you need urgent help, contact the British Embassy Budapest.

Other useful information

Returning to the UK

You should tell the UK and Hungarian authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently.

Before you leave the country, you must return your registration certificate to your local immigration office and your address card (lakcímkártya) to any Kormányablak.

To move your pension to the UK, contact the International Pension Centre.

If you get healthcare in Hungary through the S1 form, you must contact the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999 to make sure your S1 is cancelled at the right time.

Read the guidance on returning to the UK permanently which includes information on, amongst other things, tax, access to services and bringing family members.


Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Hungarian authorities. The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News