HomeUnited KingdomDetailed guide: Living in Antigua & Barbuda

Detailed guide: Living in Antigua & Barbuda

Advice for British people living in Antigua & Barbuda, including information on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more.


This guide sets out essential information for British national residing in Antigua & Barbuda including advice on health, education, benefits, residence requirements and more. We are unable to provide any guidance on general lifestyle enquiries apart from the information and links listed below. See our ‘Our services’ section for information on what we can and cannot do for British nationals.


The main hospital, the Mount St John Medical Centre, is not free to non-nationals. It is able to cope with many types of treatment, but serious cases will mean emergency medical evacuation, usually to the USA. There are also a number of private hospitals and clinics. Make sure you have adequate health insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment abroad and repatriation.

Further information on health care in Antigua and Barbuda can be found on our travel advice page.


For information on vaccines abroad, see our COVID-19 travel guidance.


Antigua and Barbuda’s state education system is generally below that of the UK and resources can be poor. Private schools are of a higher standard. For information on the school system in Antigua and Barbuda, please visit the Antigua Ministry of Education website.

Entry and residence requirements

Entry requirements for British Nationals can be found on our travel advice page
British Nationals are not permitted to work in Antigua and Barbuda without a valid work permit. Information and advice regarding residency, work permits and student visas should be obtained from the Antigua and Barbuda Immigration Department TEL: +1 268 562 1387 or email: immigrationanu@antigua.gov.ag or Antiguan High Commission in London.


British Nationals maybe entitled to UK benefits while living in Antigua and Barbuda. The UK basic state pension is payable in Antigua and Barbuda. Please contact the International Pension Centre for more information on getting your pension in Antigua and Barbuda.

You may be thinking about paying voluntary contributions to top up your pension entitlement. For further information on paying voluntary contributions in the UK, contact HM Revenues & Customs.

Driving licences and vehicles

Residents and visitors are required to hold a valid Antigua and Barbuda licence. Temporary driving licences which are valid for three months can be purchased via hire car companies, the Transport Board, or the local police. They may be renewed at a police station or the Transport Board. You will need to show your full UK Driving Licence to obtain a temporary driving licence. Full driving licences are issued by Antigua and Barbuda Transport Board.


There are a number of banks in Antigua and Barbuda and advice should be sought directly from them on how to open an account. You are likely to be asked to produce a reference from your UK bank.
It is important to get your tax right when living abroad.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the high commission by the relevant local authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. The FCO and the British High Commission will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information. British nationals wishing to obtain any further information must contact the relevant local authority.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News