HomeUnited KingdomDetailed guide: France: notarial and documentary services

Detailed guide: France: notarial and documentary services

Make a certified copy of a document

You will need to contact a local notary or lawyer.

The Consular services of the British Embassy Paris only provide certified copies of a British passport where the requesting authority and the applicant can provide written evidence that no other alternative notarial body can perform this act. We will only then consider your application for notarial services. If you cannot provide us with this proof, we are unable to conduct this service.

The British embassy cannot provide this service where the requesting authority is a bank or other financial organisation. We cannot certify a copy of a birth certificate. If you require a copy of a birth certificate, you need to apply via the General Register Office (GRO)

Services we provide in France

Consular staff in Paris can issue certificates of custom for marriage.

For documents relating to marriage and PACS

We issue these through postal application only, not in person.

You can obtain information on how to request a certificate of customs, certificat de celibat, or notice of marriage here. If you need confirmation that your marriage in France is recognised by UK law or a confirmation of marital status, please download this informative note and show it to the requesting authority.

Recognition of Marriage and Marital Status (FR)

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a
version of this document in a more accessible format, please email fcdo.correspondence@fcdo.gov.uk.
Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

If you can’t find the service you are looking for on this page, please see other services provided by the British embassy in France.

Other services we provide

The Consular Services of the British Embassy in Paris can legalise the signature of officials of the British Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and of the French Ministère des Affaires Etrangères et Européennes for use in countries that have not signed the Hague Convention of 5 October 1965 only.

Documents must be sent by postal application. Payment can be made by Mastercard or Visa, Mandat Cash or Bankers Cheque only. You must include a pre-paid self-addressed envelope (registered post/Chronopost/or similar) otherwise we cannot return your documents.

Applications are usually completed within 15 working days of receipt however due to the COVID-19 situation in France we are unable to guarantee this time frame. If you need to speak to us about this service please see our contact details.

Send your application to:

British Embassy

Consular Services – Legalisations

BP 111 – 08

75363 CEDEX 08

Download an application and payment form for legalisations

See the list of fees and payment options

You can get certain official UK documents ‘legalised’ by asking the Legalisation Office to confirm that the signature, stamp or seal is from a UK public official.

Services provided elsewhere

Life certificates for British nationals claiming a British pension abroad can be provided by those on this list

If getting a life certificate in English will be difficult for you, the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) will accept a French life certificate (certificat de vie), which you can obtain from the French authorities.

Data protection

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office holds and uses data for purposes notified to the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act 1998. Such personal data may be disclosed to other UK government departments and public authorities.


This information is provided as a general guide and is based upon information provided to the embassy / consulate by the relevant authorities and may be subject to change at any time with little or no notice. Accordingly the FCDO and the British embassy / consulate will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.

For all notarial and legalisation services it is the responsibility of the customer to ascertain the precise requirements of the person requesting the notarial or legalisation service and to satisfy themselves that the service provided by the embassy/consulate will be accepted.


Stay Connected
Must Read
Related News